A Look Back At: The Killers – Hot Fuss. (Track by Track Review)

Back in 2004 there was a whirlwind of genres topping the charts, hip-hop, punk, nu-metal, pop, EDM and everything in between. Indie music was on the rise, feeding off of the post punk revival and Brit-pop revolution. And The Killers used this to their advantage. Combining elements from Rock and Brit-pop, Brandon Flowers and crew capitalised on the range of genres topping charts to come out above it all, even making a song that hovers around the Top 50 even 16 years later. So lets take a look back and see how this album holds up, and what made it so good.

(Scroll to the Bottom For an Overview of my Thoughts, Plus my rating)

Favourite Songs: Smile Like You Mean It, All These Things That I’ve Done, Everything Will Be Alright.

 

The Killer's - Hot Fuss

Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine

Every time this song starts, I get flashbacks to when my stereo decided to start playing it at 3am, when I was about 6, god that was weird. Anyway… The song opens with a droning siren type noise that’s really scary at 3am. Then comes in the grungy guitars, the opening riff plays and instantly I remember the energy this album has, the way it pumps you up. That’s proof this album is going to be a good listen even now. I instantly remember how cool this song is. The grungy guitars, then the bass, all coming together with a gritty synth overlay and later some nostalgic 2000’s pop type synths. You can’t help but bob your head a little. Hardcore fans will know that lyrically this song is about a girl who was murdered, the narrator (Singer) is in the police investigation. Which is pretty cool for those who want to look into it. It’s a story that apparently takes place over a few different songs across a few different albums. It’s probably also relatable to a lot of people as at first glance it’s a love song, about heartbreak or something, but really, it’s about murder, okay?

Thinking about it ‘She couldn’t scream while I held her close’ is quite sus… how did I miss that?

Mr Brightside

Alright, so there’s not much to say about this song that hasn’t been said. Especially if you’re British, and enjoy “A few” drinks every now and then.  The energy this song has is undeniable, its stood the test of time to imprint itself as one of the best party Brit-pop songs ever… despite being made by Americans.. in Britain. The riff throughout this song pumps it up, that grungy guitars blasts lower, bassy octaves at you, the vocals pop, its hard. Not much more to say. It’s a song about paranoia and jealous, but do people care? No, its Mr Brightside. I never. ( I hope someone gets that little joke… please laugh)


Smile Like You Mean It

So back in 2004 music was about going hard, giving it everything and making a sad song that doesn’t sound sad and making it a single. The Killers are no exception.  ‘Smile Like You Mean It’ is exactly one of those songs. And boy is my nostalgia flowing by this time. To me, looking back, this song is about moving on, growing up, the inevitable process that we’ll all go through, and are going through. “Someone is playing a game in the house that I grew up in”. “Dreams aren’t what they used to be”. That’s not you anymore, and not everything is how it was. You grew up. Whether you like it or not. Move on. Smile like you mean it, because you have to, but the instrumental composition tells you, its alright, we all do, just bop your head and smile. And you will.

Somebody Told Me.

This song is about picking girls up in a club, she might even be a lesbian, who knows. That’s what it’s about. This song sounds like a step into indie territory, rather than the soft Brit-pop from before. It’s a bit heavier, it goes harder, the vocals are delivered in an almost harsh manner. Lyrically, as I said its about picking up girls, so maybe someone could find this relatable? I don’t know, but honestly this song bangs so I don’t think it matters. I wish this music still played at parties, but I guess I’ll have to drink alone and vibe to it. Not much to fault this song on. It’s hard.

All These Things That I’ve Done

This song has a much more sombre tone. This one gets the emotions flowing, especially if its nostalgic for you… or you’ve had a few drinks. It’s also about growing. In age and as a person, and its about needing help. “I’m so much older than I can take”, “I need directions to perfection”, “I got soul, but I’m not a soldier”. This song starts slow, and about halfway it strips back, just a simple gritty guitar riffs, then building up into choir like singing and uplifting drums, it’s a feel good song. While everyone’s lost, the battle is won, with all these things that I’ve done.

It’s a classic uplifting indie song, executed in true Killers fashion, with all the catharsis you could want while drunk with your friends at 2am. Life’s good.


Andy You’re a Star

This is this your classic 2000’s post-punk indie revival, cool sounding film-style song. I like it. The guitar riff that persists, while the floating synths penetrate the grungy feel, then the chorus kicks in and we find out that Andy is indeed a star, in nobody’s life but Brandon’s. Sounds like a song abut friendship. Or possibly being a closet homosexual. Either way, still a good listen in 2020.

On Top

Starts off sounding like a 2000’s EDM song. Honestly this album is the most early 2000’s British thing you’ll ever hear, so if I say that a lot, just understand. The poppy synths laced throughout, the fast tempo upbeat drumtrack, the random effects used throughout and that twangy guitar, its almost blissful, brought together by Vegas boy Brandon Flowers’ British sounding gritty vocals. It’s upbeat, it’s pop-esque and it’s feel good. Not much more needs to be said. We’re on top. It pops. Listen to it.

Believe Me Natalie

First of all, I don’t know what a “Go-go Dance” is, and they don’t really have discos anymore but, its nice to be reminded of the past. This branches into Funk-rock. Brass tracks in the background throughout, lots of cymbals, slinky guitar work, an almost sultry delivery from Flowers. As for the Lyrics… I don’t know what they’re about, but I like them? “There is an old cliché under your Monet, baby”? Your guess is as good as mine. This song makes even a miserable guy like me want to dance. I’m not going to… but it would probably be fun. It might be my last chance to Disco, after all.

Midnight Show

So… I don’t know what was going on in the mind of whoever wrote this, but I hope someone has had a word with them. I believe this is another Murder themed song but it’s a little... creepy. Going from “You got a real short skirt, I wanna look up”, to “I took my baby’s breath beneath the chandelier”. So… a bit of perverse expression and then some murder. Don’t know which part of the UK was doing this in the 2000’s to inspire this song but I’m going to ignore it. Instrumental its another indie rock song, not a surprise, but unlike songs of the same genre now, it doesn’t sound boring or same-sy, there’s a different riff, different sounds, a whole different vibe and delivery.

Everything Will Be Alright

This is one of the most original songs I’ve ever head, the loop used creates such a gloomy atmosphere, the ethereal hums, the effects on the vocals, the way the lyrics are almost slurred, they sound destroyed, but they’re comforting… “Everything will be alright” repeated again and again, it feels like he’s with you. It’s relatable and so Cathartic, but you’ll sway while listening, it’s catchy and it ends with a scratchy guitars that strikes such an honest feeling. You will never hear another song like this one. At first it may be hard to get into, but whether you like it or not, its original. Its ethereal. It’s pain and hope. It’s so beautifully human.

“I’m dreaming ‘Bout those dreamy eyes.” “Everything Will Be Alright”.


Glamorous Indie Rock And Roll

It’s in his soul. It’s what he needs, and I can tell from listening to this album. Indie Rock And Roll is what you got. This song is about the gritty realities of being small time indie artists. “No sex, No drugs, No Rock, No Roll”. “It’s Indie Rock And Roll For Me” Flowers yells with all the passion of a British Boy (From Vegas?) With a dream. As a way to cap of this album, with a self aware, grungy indie rock song, The Killers hit the nail on the head. In 2004, if you were poor, if you had next to nothing. It was indie rock and roll for you. And as someone who grew up in that. It’s indie rock and roll for me, and it’s good. Music is something that unites these people, it brings them joy when they have nothing else. And when you were poor, living in a small cul-de-sac where people drink just to have a good time, this is what they were drinking to.

 

Brandon Flowers (Lead singer) Performing live. 2005.

Overview

Whether The Killers set out to make one of the most iconic British Albums ever or no, I don’t know. But they sure as hell did. This is an album that has stood the test of time for over 15 years now. With Mr Brightside practically being the British National Anthem. Is it perfect? No, Brandon Flowers wasn’t developed fully as a singer and at times is quite stale as a singer, however for many of these songs, it works so well. Is he a better singer now? By far, he’s developed into one of the best singers of all time.

9/10. There isn’t much to fault this album on. Maybe I just love all kinds of music, maybe I’m nostalgic, but either way, this album is practically a masterpiece. A British classic, by some of America’s finest.

 Listen to the Album here: 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n4jY0HET6vSBhzpxy5mFmlIRPSfIowmuk

https://open.spotify.com/album/6TJmQnO44YE5BtTxH8pop1

Thanks for reading, feel free to Follow on Twitter @HybridTwelve12.

Leave a comment telling me your thoughts, or give some feedback.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juice WRLD - Legends Never Die (Track By Track Review)

Grey Daze - Amends (Track by Track Review)